One of Europe’s leading law firms seeks to hire a senior lawyer for its Budapest litigation boutique focused on emerging markets, including Africa and South/Central America. This is an excellent opportunity for a Senior Litigation Professional with experience in International Investor-State arbitration and Commercial Arbitration to join a highly regarded Firm opening an office in Budapest.
The successful candidate should have preferably 5 years of arbitration experience in ICC, UNCITRAL, ICSID, LCIA, SIAC or other ad hoc arbitration or institutional forii. Candidates do not need to be admitted to the Budapest bar. This work has no relation to Hungarian legal matters. The role is also open to foreign lawyers currently residing in Budapest.
*Preference for candidates already in Budapest or who have a reason to stay long term.
Drafting experience and expertise is a prerequisite as well as a firm understanding of the relevance of facts and the application of those facts to substantive legal cases. An understanding of the material and substantive differences in common law and civil law is preferred. In addition, an understanding of institutional procedures and rules of the different forii is necessary.
Aside from being actively involved on matters and in particular drafting pleadings and other submissions, you will perform matter management and ensure a high level of administrative support from Budapest is provided to Partners, Special Counsels, and Senior Associates located in Paris or other offices.
On the administrative side, you will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the firm’s best practices policies, including quality control, file management and administration is handled efficiently and effectively.
You will possess:
- A law degree, bar exam, and at least 4 years of legal experience including some demonstrated administrative experience gained running a team;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work in a high-pressure environment on a remote basis is essential.
- Investigation: Assist with organisation and retention of all essential case records; gather case facts, documents, and evidence; create case investigation notebooks; create indices and chronologies of case facts and records; conduct legal research and prepare memorandum.
- Pleadings: Knowledge of legal terminology and legal document formats in order to read, interpret, prepare, revise, and finalize legal documents; ability to create Table of Contents and Table of Authorities; demonstrated knowledge of Bluebooking and ability to cite check.
- Discovery: Aid attorneys in drafting and responding to discovery documents, including interrogatories, requests for production, and requests for admissions; create and maintain discovery indices; organize, review, and analyze documents, including financial records; prepare witness statement/depositions and summaries.
- Pre-Hearing/Hearing: Organize and indexes documents and evidence, including all exhibits and witness lists; prepares trial binders; assists in drafting settlement agreements and distribution statements.
- Calendar: Maintains and updates calendars, including all docketing, for active cases.
- Technology: Type approximately 60 net words per minute; must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat Pro, iManage, Elite, iPro, and DocuSign (or similar document management and time entry programs); strive to become proficient in new technology rollouts and willingness to attend trainings when offered.
- Teamwork: Ability to effectively communicate and work cooperatively with attorneys, staff, clients, coworkers, and vendors; proactively demonstrates effective teamwork and provides assistance to other paralegals as time permits; operates as a backup paralegal when needed; analytic ability to apply knowledge to practical applications and to foresee possible problems and effective solutions.
- Miscellaneous: Maintains confidentiality of all client and firm information; ability to work independently and effectively under time constraints and pre-set deadlines in an accurate manner with consistent high production; requires minimal supervision; ability to generate and implement new procedures for specific situations; willingness to meet the requirements of the position, accepting a wide variety of assignments as called upon; demonstrate skills in organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks; demonstrate reliability and willingness to work in a complex environment; other duties as assigned.
- Able to be trained in the above work.
- Communication: Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally.
- Ability to communicate fluently in French and English both written and verbally
- Teamwork: Encourages and facilitates cooperation, pride, trust, and group identity; fosters commitment and teamwork while encouraging others to achieve goals.
- Organization Skills: Ability to handle multiple deadlines while organizing and prioritizing tasks, as well as time management.
- Interpersonal Skills: Shows understanding, courtesy, tact, and empathy while cooperating with and relating to others; building relationships with people at all levels; shows dedication, work ethic, integrity, dependability, reliability, flexibility, adaptability, and a positive attitude.
- Analytical: Detail oriented; ability to analyze problems; ability to problem solve.
- Integrity & Honesty: Able to display high standards of ethical conduct and understand the impact of violating same; is trustworthy; chooses an ethical course of action.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the part time student or intern for this role.
Please direct any inquiries regarding this position, in complete confidence to: Karin Bryce at firstname.lastname@example.org
Legalis adheres to all applicable privacy laws and regulations. Your application for a vacancy represented by Legalis, and the corresponding submission of the personal data contained in your CV, implies consent to the dissemination of your personal and professional details for work-finding purposes. All applications to Legalis are handled with the strictest of confidentiality and your CV will never be forwarded to a third party without your express and prior consent. In addition, by applying for this vacancy you agree that Legalis has full authorization to handle your information internally. Further details are available upon request.