With over 9,000 lawyers in 78 countries around the world, this leading law firm connects talent to opportunity across the globe. The firm is looking for a seasoned Risk professional or lawyer with specific Professional Indemnity Insurance and regulatory experience to join its Risk function
Notionally a member of the Europe Office of General Counsel, the individual will work within the Europe region of the firm and as part of a broader global team to manage insurance coverage and claims handling for Europe as well as the provision of advice on a wide range of risk issues. Insurance work will include Professional Indemnity, Management and Employment Practices Liability, Property and Casualty, Cyber, Business Travel, and Personal Accident. In addition, the successful candidate will assist with the implementation, maintenance and improvement of internal risk processes, and other compliance requirements arising from relevant jurisdictional regulations. The role holder should be based in Germany, ideally in Frankfurt.
The role holder will be providing high level advice on risk issues covering the operations of the firm in Europe including CIS and Turkey. They will also lead the team to:
- Assess, notify and manage claims arising within the region including reporting to and liaising with insurers and guiding partners.
- Answer questions from partners, associates and staff at all levels across the firm regarding relevant law, regulations and firm policies pertaining to insurance, ethics and regulatory compliance.
- Build relationships with the practice and business services areas to better understand specific local risks and regulatory requirements
- Assist with the development, administration, monitoring and maintenance of firm risk and compliance policies and procedures.
- Co-ordinate support and guidance to the NBI team on complex sanctions issues, in liaison with subject-matter experts from the practice
- Deliver risk training to meet local needs and as part of firm wide programs.
- Assess and advise on regional impact of commercial conflicts of interest, and assist the NBI team and EMEA Head of Conflicts with the implementation of solutions to resolve conflicts.
- Assist the EMEA Head of AML with the assessment of reputational risk assessment on new clients.
- Conduct other research, projects and auditing, as necessary.
Your qualifications should encompass:
- It is essential candidates have strong (multi-year) truly professional experience and expertise in professional services regulatory and compliance – especially MLA – within the EU and can manage a multi-national team and bring efficient operating processes.
- Law firm and/or Big4 experience a plus.
- Requires a good knowledge of applicable ethical rules and guidelines and related compliance issues applicable to international law firms.
- Sanctions knowledge and experience of basic analysis a plus
- Eagerness to keep abreast of changes to relevant legislation and guidance and to become an expert in the laws and procedures relevant to the firm’s practice as a whole, such as the legal privilege/professional secrecy rules applicable in various European countries, as well as anti-bribery and corruption rules and other general risk and compliance regulatory reporting requirements.
- A high level of IT skills is essential and must include familiarity with applications such as Word, Outlook and Excel. Web-based and general research skills essential.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to grasp relevant issues quickly and to understand complex insurance and regulatory issues, within a commercial context, balanced with an understanding of when it is appropriate to escalate.
- A willingness to take ownership of difficult and unfamiliar issues by displaying initiative, resourcefulness, confidence, presence and a diplomatic manner.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills (written and oral), close attention to detail and a meticulous approach to maintaining concise, up-to-date and accurate records of matters dealt with and advice provided.
- Strong organizational and management skills. Used to working to very high standards of accuracy and efficiency, but balanced with a practical, commercial and common sense approach.
- Fast thinker, quick learner and able to work effectively under time pressure. Must be able to prioritize competing work demands and multi-task.
- Strong team player – reliable, flexible, helpful and willing to work beyond and outside regular hours as needed to serve the needs of a global firm.
- Excellent interpersonal and client service skills and a positive “can-do” approach.
- Ability to effectively work and liaise confidently and competently with all levels of staff to assist with the resolution of issues.
- Ability to speak and write fluently in German a significant plus.
- This role requires travel.
To apply for this position, please send your CV to Emese Szoverfi via email in complete confidence to: email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed on a weekly basis and only candidates that meet the specific criteria of our client will be contacted for a telephone interview.
Legalis adheres to all applicable privacy laws and regulations. Your application for a vacancy represented by Legalis, and the corresponding submission of the personal data contained in your CV, implies consent to the dissemination of your personal and professional details for work-finding purposes. All applications to Legalis are handled with the strictest of confidentiality and your CV will never be forwarded to a third party without your express and prior consent. In addition, by applying for this vacancy you agree that Legalis has full authorization to handle your information internally. Further details are available upon request.