Our client, a global law firm seeks an Chief Innovation & Knowledge Director for Europe to join their team. The role is focused on driving innovation and knowledge management in Europe; across the functions, practice and geographical areas and beyond the firm’s traditional borders. The role holder will be based in Continental Europe.
The role will focus on providing a competitive advantage to the firm by delivering high end value, cutting-edge solutions and the necessary resources to satisfy clients and deliver the best results. You will be charged with overseeing key drivers of innovation for the firm affecting quality and profitability of work undertaken for clients. This includes: legal project management, knowledge management, IT, pricing, eDiscovery/practice support, legal service centres, flexible resourcing, artificial intelligence, and non-traditional services.
Knowledge Management is a key piece to this role in order to increase profitability and growth through higher efficiency in knowledge sharing and innovation and maximize the return on investment in knowledge including people, processes and intellectual capital. Equally important is the reduction of costs by facilitating knowledge centricity and ensuring that the best, most relevant information is accessible to fee earners and business support professionals. Finally, the KM focus of this role should boost client satisfaction through improved products / services and shorter lead times.
Working in conjunction with the lawyers you will influence their access and usage of emerging legal technologies so that they can understand in practical terms how the technology can augment their practice. You will facilitate legal ideas to be generated by the firm’s lawyers, encouraging teams of lawyers to come up with the best ideas, which will be invested in and turned into a live product or solution. You will work on and invest in new ideas, partnering with technology companies or other providers.
Does this describe you?
- An experienced operational and transformational business leader who has been at the very vanguard of delivering legal market change and is recognized as a leading market (or “up and coming”) expert and innovator.
- An excellent business and operational management skills and requires someone highly competent at dealing with financial and commercial matters.
- A professional who has excelled in a senior operations or business development role at a law firm or you may have been a lawyer previously in your career (private practice experience in big law essential) before turning to law firm management. In either case, you have the combination of deep business and legal understanding to address the demands of the current legal market.
- A leader possessing an impressive track record building and lead multi-disciplinary teams to devise, design, develop and deliver truly innovative and transformational legal solutions for a law firm.
- Predisposed to develop cutting-edge solutions that streamline processes deliver value and maximize resources for the benefit of the firm and clients.
- Capable to lead the knowledge process by creating a comprehensive knowledge strategy based upon the firm’s objectives; and overseeing the development / implementation of a knowledge infrastructure.
- Strives to encourage creative thinking in employees and find ways to nurture innovative thinking across all areas of the firm, formulate effective new ideas and innovative strategies.
- 10 years of Law Firm or Big4 experience – having held one or multiple functional area / C-suite roles in Business Development, Operations, Knowledge Management, or IT;
- Experience with process improvement, implementation and change management a plus;
- Strength in handling both raw data and a tremendous amount of human input;
- Experience handling the design of knowledge management systems; assessing KM needs, implementing initiatives by making legal know-how and expertise available at the attorney desktop; define and share “best practices” for KM workflows throughout the firm;
- Understanding of products and services in emerging legal technology marketplace, esp. artificial intelligence, data analytics, advanced search technologies and document management software;
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders to achieve business unit and divisional goals.
If you would enjoy being an architect and implementer of this very exciting and challenging role, we would like to hear from you. Courageous legal market innovators are invited to contact Ellen Hayes for a confidential discussion contact: Ellen Hayes | USA: (305) 459-3791 | EUROPE +36 20 962 9162 | Ellen.firstname.lastname@example.org OR Emma Plumtree| email@example.com | Tel +44 7376 128934